Monday, June 3, 2013

Dark Chocolate Bark

 

I've recently been on this chocolate crave. Within the past week, I've adopted at least five different brands of dark chocolate (now that school is over, all I do is eat and sleep) into my home. As I've cut refined sugars out of my life as much as possible, the darkest chocolates have slowly become sweet. Most days, I'll be perfectly content with solely dark cocoa powder in my oatmeal -- no sweeteners.


So let me now introduce you to my new favorite chocolate bark. Spicy mama, meet my lovely reader. When I took my first nibble of the bark, my taste buds were pleasantly surprised. 



Chili and bittersweet chocolate is a relatively new concept in the western world, albeit it is well-known to many South American cultures. To many people, bittersweet and dark chocolate is too...bitter (for lack of a better word). With the delightful heat however, the chocolate becomes somewhat intriguing. 


My favorite part about the bark is that the chili is undetectable while you're indulging and then BAM!  It reveals itself after you go nomnomnom.


 Anyways, enjoy!


Recipe: serves 6
6 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup pistachios
7 apricots, chopped into 4ths
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
coarse sea salt for sprinkling

Directions:
  1. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Combine pistachios, apricots, chili powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.
  2. With a double boiler, melt the chocolate (or melt in the microwave with 30 second increments, stirring between each increment). Stir in the pistachio mixture.
  3. Pour the pistachio-chocolate mixture onto the lined baking pan. Use a spatula to even out. Sprinkle with salt and refrigerate until hard, and then break into pieces.
Notes:
- My entire batch was about 250g
- Store in an airtight container
- If you are feeling ballsy, up the chili powder to 1/2 tsp cinnamon

With love,
Grace

Also, I just created a Facebook page (here) and would really, really love it if you could go like it! Thanks!

27 comments:

  1. I love dark chocolate with a subtle heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chocolate is always good, but this kicked things up a notch!

      Delete
  2. I've been having a chocolate craving my entire life so thank you for fulfilling my fantasies with this amazing share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! What a great idea to spice the chocolate up with chili and cinnamon!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love chocolate!!

    - Janine
    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chocolate too, but a little bit too much!

      Delete
  5. Can't go wrong with a combo of chocolate, fruit and nuts. Lovely photos to this lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chocolate, fruits, and nuts will always be so delish. Chocolate with cornflakes...mmm you have to try that!

      Delete
  6. YUMM grace! this looks wonderful. I've always been too scared to try chili chocolate, but I think i should!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so hungry right now and this post isn't helping--your chocolate bark looks incredible! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind. The photos in your blog make me go crazy when I'm hungry!

      Delete
  8. Grace, this bark is beautiful and looks delicious with the apricots and pistachios...one of my favorite nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Amy! I've been so nut crazy lately...call me nutty d:

      Delete
  9. Yum, this chocolate bark looks magnificent Grace! Great combination of chocolate, pistachios and a little heat - sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! Looks so simple but incredibly delicious can't wait to try it!

    kayleemichelleseifert.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I loveeee chocolate bark - and these fillings look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read ©Perpetual Nomming. Hope you enjoyed the post!

© 2012-2013 Perpetual Nomming. All images & content are copyright protected. Powered by Blogger.
 

Template by BloggerCandy.com